William Turner Challenge Cup Semi Final

Doune Castle 3

Rhu Amateurs 3

(Doune win 4-2 on penalties)

KEEPER Steven Fotheringham was the Doune Castle hero with two penalty saves in a dramatic spot kick shoot-out win over Rhu Amateurs in the William Turner Challenge Cup Semi Final on Wednesday.

The result means that in their last game of the season, Doune will now contest the Caledonian League’s showcase finale.

Doune took an early lead after 28 minutes when Dylan McGowan's attempted cross ricocheted up off the artificial grass and Jonny Burns reacted fastest to nod home and make it 1-0.

Rhu were gifted an equaliser after 38 minutes

The ball struck David Innes on the arm after a Rhu forward hammered the ball towards goal. Standing only some two yard away, it was difficult to see how Innes could have avoided the shot. Rhu wasted no time in dispatching the spot kick into the right hand corner of the far post to make it 1-1.

Rhu edged 2-1 ahead after 49 minutes. The Castle defence was posted missing as Rhu lobbed Steven Fotheringham as he raced from goal.

Doune scored the equaliser after 64 minutes. Lukasz Duszynski’s effort broke to Dylan McGowan. He smashed the loose ball home from 14 yards to make 2-2.

After 66 minutes, Doune edged into a 3-2 with a brilliant solo goal from Niall McClure.

Just inside his own half, McClure won a midair challenge with two defenders. He shrugged off the challenge of another defender to open up the space in front of him. McClure drove on, holding off two other defenders and surged into the box. With great assurance, McClure drew the keeper and slipped the ball under him from 8 yards.

Rhu equalised after 83 minutes.

Doune conceded a free kick on the left edge of their area. The Rhu full back curled an in-swinging cross to the back post. A Rhu striker rose unchallenged to head powerfully past Steven Fotheringham from 8 yards to make it 3-3.

The closing minutes were understandably tense as both sides probed for the winner, desperately defending any counter attack. There was no further scoring, leading the sides straight to a penalty shootout.

Jonny Burns converted the first kick sending the keeper the wrong way: 1-0

Steven Fotheringham pulled off a brilliant stop diving to his right and then flicking out his leg to knock the ball wide.

Paul Statter hit his kick too close to Graham who smothered low to his right.

Rhu then converted with a kick drilled down the middle: 1-1.

Graham McClymont confidently placed his kick wide to the keeper’s left: 2-1

Steven Fotheringham pulled off his second great save, diving to his left to push the kick wide: 2-1

Skipper Alan More forced a low shot into the net despite the keeper getting a touch: 3-1

Rhu hammered the next kick high into the net to Steven Fotheringham’s right: 3-2

Sean Heaver guaranteed a cup final slot, sending the keeper the wrong way with powerful finish high into the net: 4-2

Doune Castle: Scott, Innes, More, Burns, Duncanson, Statter (McClymont), Duszynski (McClymont), McClure, McGowan (Burke), Heaver Substitutes: Holmes, Scott, Gallagher