East of Scotland Cup

Quarter Final

Linlithgow Thistle ............. 0

Doune Castle ..................... 2

DOUNE CASTLE progressed to the East of Scotland Cup semi final after a 2-0 win over Linlithgow Thistle in a pulsating cup tie.

An inspired performance from keeper Steven Fotheringham and two goals of the highest quality gave the Castle the edge over a strong Linlithgow side.

Alan Inglis came close after less than a minute, smacking a dipping volley that flashed a yard over from 16 yards.

On 4 minutes, Linlithgow crashed a free kick off the bar.

Steven Fotheringham then dived full-length to his left push Smith’s low strike from 20 yards round the post.

After 14 minutes, the Castle keeper anticipated the danger and raced off his line to deny a forward with a fine block 16 yards out.

Doune made the break through after 38 minutes.

From 30 yards out, Sean Heaver curled a free kick around the Linlithgow defensive line. Niall McClure sprinted clear of his marker to direct a strong glancing header clear of the keeper into the right hand corner of the net from 12 yards to make it 1-0.

On 47 minutes, Dylan McGowan’s header seemed net bound until a defender booted the ball off the goal line.

Three minutes later, Alan More hammered a low shot from 24 yards just wide.

On 64 minutes, Steven Fotheringham denied Linlithgow with a fine save from a free kick powered into the box.

A minute later, Linlithgow were left frustrated as the bar crashed back off the face of the Castle crossbar.

On 77 minutes, Kenny Feaks rifled a clean strike from 22 yards that beat the keeper, but hit the left post and slipped wide.

After 84 minutes, Lukasz Duszynski skipped past the full back and fired a low ball towards the edge of the six-yard box. Dylan McGowan broke clear and stabbed a first time shot on the run that flashed a foot over the bar.

With 5 minutes remaining, Steven Fotheringham denied Linlithgow with a stunning save.

Smith connected cleanly on the run and powered his header from 12 yards towards the postage stamp corner. Steven Fotheringham changed direction to dive to his right before turning the ball over the bar with a strong hand.

Doune sealed victory with a wonderful second goal after 87 minutes.

Sean Heaver burst over the half way line and found Dylan wide on the right. McGowan torpedoed a 35-yard diagonal cross towards the far post. Alan Inglis bulleted a downward header back across goal and into the far corner of the net from eight yards to make it 2-0.

Doune comfortably saw out the remaining time, delighted to have secured their semi final berth.

Doune Castle: Fotheringham, Burns, Feaks, Duncanson, More, Ogilvie, McGowan, McClure, Duszynski, Inglis, Heaver Substitutes: McClymont, Smith, Stevenson, Scott, Gallagher