Kilsyth Amateurs .................. 1

Doune Castle ........................ 2

DOUNE’S League match away to Castlemilk was a late victim to the weather.

The Castle rounded off a successful 2015 with a hard-earned win in this hastily arranged friendly against the Central Scottish League’s First Division pacesetters.

Malcolm Scott, Doune’s veteran goalkeeping coach, capped an outstanding individual display with a fine second half penalty save.

Kilsyth applied early pressure against Doune’s much re-arranged starting line-up. Malcolm Scott dealt confidently with a series of long-range efforts. Scott was ably assisted by the central defensive pairing of Richard Smith and Ryan Duncanson, who used their aerial strength to clear a series of corners.

Doune gradually settled into their normal passing game. Niall McClure prompted Doune’s best moves with Sean Heaver a constant threat down the left wing.

Alan Inglis, Colin Burke and Sean Heaver all came close before Doune opened the scoring after 33 minutes.

Sean Heaver drilled a corner from the left into the heart of the Kilsyth six-yard box. When Alan Inglis challenged his marker for the ball it fell to Craig Holmes. Holmes marked his full Castle debut by stabbing home from 8 yards to make it 1-0.

After 38 minutes, Doune made it 2-0.

Sean Heaver glided past three defenders as he cut inside, only to be hauled down with a late tackle. From all of 30 yards out, Alan Inglis powerfully guided the free kick round the defensive wall and into the corner of the net.

Kilsyth took advantage of hesitancy in the middle to break clear one-on-one with Malcolm Scott. Scott used all his experience to time his block to perfection to ensure Doune retained their 2-0 advantage at the interval.

Doune began the second half purposefully and Sean Heaver and Alan Inglis tested the keeper with early efforts. Doune ensured all their squad enjoyed extended game time with a quadruple substitution.

Kilsyth continued to trouble the Doune defence with their pacy counter-attacking football and the home side gradually hemmed back the Doune defence. A combination of errant finishing and Malcolm Scott’s assured handling kept Kilsyth at bay until the 71st minute.

After another penetrating run from the right, the Kilsyth striker netted with an assured finish from 16 yards, giving Scott no chance with a low shot into the corner of the net to make it 2-1.

Buoyed by that success, Kilsyth chased an equaliser. After 77 minutes, they were presented with an excellent opportunity to draw level when they were awarded a penalty after Richard Smith handled in the area. However, Malcolm Scott dived full-length to his left to hold the spot kick.

Doune regained their composure and troubled the Kilsyth defence with a late flurry of attacks. The home remained a constant threat until the end of the game but the Doune defence held strong as the Castle secured a hard-earned win.

Doune Castle’s next match will be on Saturday 9th January when they travel to take on Albion AFC in the 5th Round of this year’s Scottish Amateur Cup.

Albion sit top of the Glasgow Colleges Premier Division and halve already taken some impressive scalps in this season’s tournament, most notably West of Scotland Cup holders, Greenock High School FPs.

Doune Castle: Scott, Innes, Smith, Duncanson, More, Holmes, McGowan, McClure, Burke Inglis, Heaver, McClymont, Substitutes: Burns, Ogilvie, McClymont, Stevenson