THERE'S no doubt that Alloa will keep fighting until the very end, but with every week another punch lands.

On Saturday, it was Abroath who landed the latest blow, and it was one that will sting that little bit more.

With Alloa bottom of the table and Arbroath one place above them, four points was all that separated the league's two part-time teams.

A win for Alloa and the gap would be one point with four games to go. A win for Arbroath and the Wasps would find themselves seven points adrift, their Championship status extremely threatened.

It was Dick Campbell's men who started the brightest, and should have taken the lead within the first two minutes.

After a smart turn, Ben Williamson was able to drive towards Neil Parry's goal and found Kris Doolan, who let the ball run past Liam Dick before settling and shooting, just missing the target.

Alloa's first chance fell to Jon Robertson and the defender was inches away from finding the net.

Steven Hetherington had another attempt to deliver the ball after his corner was dealt with, and the clearance fell to Ray Grant. He found Robertson, who controlled well before striking a great volley on his left foot that just missed the target and hit the side netting.

Arbroath continued to threaten as Jason Thomson glanced a header just past the post before Lewis Moore made a great run, cutting inside and striking. Parry saved but fumbled the ball and was fortunate to reclaim the loose ball.

A scrappy first half came to an end with neither team having found the target. Minutes into the second half and Arbroath should have taken the lead.

A long ball over the Alloa defence was pounced upon by David Gold after Parry and Dick's indecisiveness and Gold managed to lift the ball over the keeper but it bounced just wide.

Alloa's first chance of the second half fell to Alan Trouten but his shot went agonisingly wide. Innes Cameron was strong enough in the middle of the park to win the ball and found Trouten, who bundled his way into the box. Derek Gaston rushed out and Trouten's shot rolled past the post.

Minutes later, Trouten found himself in the exact same area, but the outcome was the same. A great through-ball by Ray Grant found Trouten's run, and he took the ball around Gaston but again his shot went wide of the goal.

The misses would prove costly as Arbroath took the lead. Hetherington's clearance was controlled by Cameron, who appeared to be pulled to the ground by Ricky Little but the referee was unmoved.

The ball fell to Nicky Low, who found Jack Hamilton's run between Dick and Lucas Williamson. He took one touch to control the ball before firing it through Parry's legs.

Just minutes later, Alloa forced Gaston into a save. Trouten took the ball on the half turn and played a great through ball to Kevin Cawley, who smashed the ball towards goal and forced Gaston to get down quickly and save.

However, Alloa's next chance left Gaston with no chance. A wonderful switch by Cawley found the run of Robertson who headed the ball back across goal into the path of Trouten. Meeting the ball on the volley, Trouten smashed the ball past the keeper and levelled the score.

The chances continued to fall for both teams, and Arbroath would have retaken the lead if not for Parry. A long ball was controlled well by Hamilton and he was too quick for Graham. He managed to get a shot away but Parry was equal to it and saved well.

Alloa would have some more opportunities to take the lead, but were unable to trouble Gaston. Another effort by Trouten was cleared by a defender before the ball fell to Cawley. Using Dick's overlapping run to open up an angle, his low shot was aimed towards the far post but again went wide.

Unfortunately for Alloa, another defensive mistake gifted a goal to the hosts. A poor cross by Michael McKenna somehow found its way through a sea of bodies and Gold nipped in front of Parry. If he got a touch, it was minimal, but the ball squirmed underneath Parry and into the net.

The three points for Arbroath mean they now sit seven points ahead of the Wasps who stay anchored to the bottom of the table.

With four games left, time is running out for a late push to avoid the drop.

Next up is a tough trip to Tynecastle on Friday night – a win for Alloa would put pressure on Arbroath and Morton who play on Saturday.

A defeat could be devastating for the club's status as a Championship club.

ALLOA: Parry, Robertson, Graham, Taggart, Dick, Williamson (Thomson), Hetherington, Grant (Scougall), Cawley, Trouten, Cameron. UNUSED SUBS: Willison, Connelly, Jamieson, Murray, Buchanan