Crieff & Strathearn clinched the BT Caledonia League Midlands Division Three title with a memorable win over rivals Falkirk 2's last weekend.

Backed by a crowd of noisy travelling support, it had all the signs of a promotion play-off final between the two strongest teams in the League as they fought out it for the title at Falkirk Park.

Crieff ran out knowing what was needed of them to secure promotion, win by more than seven points and achieve a bonus point to break Falkirk hearts and steal the league title.

Crieff began the game on the back foot after feeling the full force of Falkirk's heavy hitting forward pack, but they managed to hold firm.

Top try scorer Ryan Flett was allowed to stretch his legs down the left touchline, but a great cover tackle prevented a 100 metre wonder try. Quick rucking and slick hands from the Crieff backline then saw the ball into the hands of nippy winger Stirling Fenton who ran around the outside and cunningly stepped inside the Falkirk sweeper to draw first blood for Crieff. Gavin Tainsh converted the try.

Even though the away side now carried the momentum, Falkirk refused to go out early and heavy pressure on the Crieff backs forced a fumble in midfield which was quickly capitalised on by Falkirk as their young standoff levelled the match inside an enthralling opening 10 minutes.

By this time, it was easy to identify that Falkirk's strengths lay within their large forward pack and within minutes of equalising, they went over the line again through their hard-hitting captain.

Crieff skipper Stuart Guntley rallied his men, who marched up the other end in search of a score, knowing that another Falkirk try may well put the game to be. After gaining a penalty in the Falkirk 22, second-row George Stedman crashed down the right hand-side allowing Craig Wishart to acrobatically touch down in the corner, but sadly this meant the angle was too tight for the kicker to add the extras which left the scores level.

With the opening 20 minutes featuring two tries for each team, both sets of supporters where witnessing a cracking game of rugby.

As Falkirk restarted the match, it was an immediate response that saw them score another try to poke their noses in front once again.

This heavy pressure didn't slack from Falkirk after their try when a butchered quick penalty tap from Crieff gave the home side possession leading to their bulky inside centre hitting a great line to score under the posts, but to their credit, Crieff never let their heads drop.

With the blue & golds now facing an uphill battle, it was time to expose Falkirk's faulty backline defence with Crieff's contrasting speedy back-three. Good footwork from Ryan Flett saw him fly past three defenders to score on the right hand side after good running to close the deficit to 24-17.

The next 15 minutes were nothing short of exceptional from Crieff.They showed great determination and an immediate response from kickoff.

A chip over the top from Flett was picked up at his laces by Marcus Fenton to score, successfully converted by Tainsh to draw the scores even at 24 a-piece.

The visitors now had the momentum and soon hit the lead when Flett finished off some great work by Tainsh to top off his hat-rick.

This score was closely followed by yet another Crieff & Strathearn try. A length of the pitch move featuring nimble handling and intricate interplay ended with a fine piece of quick thinking from scrum-half Richard Leckie to score in the left corner and increase the lead to 24-36.

Crieff's superior fitness was beginning to tell, but Falkirk hit back again to narrow the deficit and set up a nervy ending to the match.

After a brave hit on the Falkirk fullback, flying winger Andrew Tainsh sadly had to leave the field but his replacement, Matthew Tait made an immediate impact.

Being dragged towards touch, he brilliantly offloaded to Stedman who came desperately short of the line.

From the ensuing ruck Crieff threw the ball out to the forwards and bosh merchant Wishart thundered over the whitewash for his second try of the game to give them breathing space. Crieff could now stop dreaming and start believing.

Having seen their team come from two tries behind, scoring seven tries and securing the bonus point, the large travelling support greeted the final whistle with delirious joy as Crieff & Strathearn were crowned Caledonia Midland 3 League champions.