Crieff & Strathearn .................... 58 Glenrothes 2xv ............................. 17 The Blue and Golds kicked off this years rugby with a home league game versus Glenrothes 2xv.

The local side won comfortably in the away fixture against the Fifers earlier on in the season but Coach Alan Webster ensured that the team were not complacent in their attitude to this game.

The pitch was very wet and heavy due to the recent flooding and the first quarter of the game was very even.

Both teams seemed to be weighing up the other but eventually the Blue and Golds broke the deadlock with Chip Leckie scoring in the corner. Ryan Flett took over the kicking role, with Gavin Tainsh out with concussion and converted with a difficult kick from the wing.

Glenrothes tried to get back into the game but their kicking let them down with a missed penalty and being unable to find touch.

Crieff & Strathearn went up a gear, when Man of the Match, Milky Tait, burst through in the centre of the park and off-loaded to Ryan Flett to score.

Then some clever thinking from Stirling Fenton after a quick throw in, shipped the ball out to Andrew Tainsh, whose pace outstripped the Glenrothes backs to score between the posts.

Scrum half Stirling Fenton got in on the scoring when he picked the ball up from the back of a ruck and nipped in to score.  for a 26-0 half time lead.

The game and bonus point was all but won but Coach Webster emphasised that the team continue to play as in the first half.

Martin Luti enjoyed his first try of the season after good forward play allowed the prop to power through and score.

Glenrothes showed that they had improved since their last meeting with the local side and scored two try’s on the trot to give them some hope of a losing bonus point.

Then Ryan Flett broke through, skipping a couple of tackles to add to his first half try. Skipper Stuart Guntley tried a long looping pass to his backs and luckily Andrew Tainsh accepted the ball and clattered over with his usual determined run.

Man of the Match, Matthew Tait, scored two more try’s to emphasise the difference in the teams but Glenrothes, to their credit, didn’t give up and charged down a defensive kick from the Blue and Golds to score late in the game.

However it fell to “The King of Spain” Fermin Vidal to end the scoring for the day with a good forwards try in the last play of the day.

This was a good run out for the local side after a relatively short break over the Festive Season however next week the team face a sterner test, away to Kirkcaldy 2’s.