Hotel and leisure company boss Nicholas Hood was banned from driving on Monday (September 21) after being caught over the limit on his way for a morning game of golf.

Hood (45) is the son of Celtic legend Harry Hood (70), who was in Stirling Sheriff Court to see his son found guilty of the motoring offence.

The court heard that Hood was stopped on the M9 at the wheel of his Range Rover Sport on his way to play at Gleneagles.

He was breathalysed, and taken to Stirling Police Office where he gave a sample of breath that turned out, on analysis, to contain 44 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres - some 25 per cent over the limit in force at the time of the incident, on the morning of April 18, 2014.

Hood, of Fife Crescent, Bothwell, Lanarkshire, a partner in the family business founded by his dad, the Lisini Pub Company, which owns three hotels and a nine hole golf-course, denied drink-driving.

He told police he'd had a drink, but "not for a few days".

His lawyer, Ronnie Simpson, said police had failed to carry out the breath-testing procedure properly at the police station, and had not told his client of his option to give a urine sample as he was only slightly over the limit.

The court heard that Hood had been offered a chance to give a blood sample, but had declined.

Hood said in evidence: "I am petrified of needles. The word 'urine' was never mentioned once."

Sheriff Kevin Veal found Hood guilty.

He said he was satisfied that the correct words had been read out to Hood in the police station.

The sheriff said: "The accused was drawn to the word 'blood' but I am satisfied that the word urine was used. His memory is what's suspect here."

Fining Hood £250 and banning him from driving for 12 months, Sheriff Veal said: "This was clearly the morning after the night before."

He offered Hood the opportunity to take part in the drink-driver's rehabilitation scheme, participation in which will reduce the period of his ban.

Hood left court with this father.

Hood's plea of not guilty to a second charge - that he had been speeding at 91mph on the M9 between junctions 9 and 10 before he was stopped and breathalysed - was accepted by the prosecution.