DOUNE CASTLE triumphed over Wishaw in a tense and feisty Scottish Cup game at the weekend.

The battling and energetic Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers pushed the Doune side all the way, before the squad celebrated a 2-1 victory, earning a place in the fifth round of the cup.

Doune had several early efforts, but did not manage to truly trouble the Wishaw defence.

Peppered with a series of niggly fouls, the opening period saw Wishaw taking every opportunity to interrupt the Castle in moving the ball around quickly.

After 32 minutes, the Wanderers' McGoldrick received a red card before his side crashed a header back off the Doune keeper's crossbar, with David Innes making an acrobatic move to clear the follow-up shot.

Around 40 minutes in, Lukasz Duszynski lobbed the keeper, but a defender managed to turn the ball away.

The tense, hard-fought and physical first half finished 0-0.

Just four minutes into the second act, Wishaw made it 1-0 with an unfortunate own goal; Steven Fotheringham looked to have covered a free kick from distance, but a colossal deflection off a Castle defender dropped the ball into the net in the opposite corner.

Unsettled, Doune almost conceded a soft second at 53 minutes, but finally managed to get on the scoreboard and equalise after 74 minutes.

The goal developed when Kenny Feaks launched a long clearance downfield. Using his head, Niall McClure leapt high to flick the ball beyond the Wishaw backline.

Dylan McGowan then latched onto the flicked ball and drove across the pursing defender. Advancing into the box, he showed great composure as he slipped a controlled shot past the advancing Linton into the net.

Quickly capitalising on the fresh momentum gained, Doune took the lead within just five minutes.

Chris Ogilvie fired a corner in from the right towards the back post with McClure soaring above the defenders to send an unstoppable bullet from 16 yards into the postage stamp corner.

Showing great character, the Wanderers refused to buckle and brought on a late attacking surge, which almost resulted in an equaliser.

As the game went into the nail-biting extra minutes, Kenny Feaks got sent off for a mistimed lunge at the left edge of the box.

To Doune's relief, Wishaw made nothing of the free kick and ultimately crashed out of the cup.